A bunion is a bony growth that develops at the base of your big toe, where it connects with your foot. These form over long periods of time, generally brought on by years of improper use of your feet. A regular foot massage from our Mercer Island foot massage clinic can go a long way towards preventing this unfortunate condition, but you can also take the following measures in between your appointments:
- Try to keep your foot muscles strong and flexible with regular exercises. For example, you might teach yourself to pick up small objects with your toes.
- Bad footwear can take its toll on your feet in the form of bunions. Women in particular should remember that high heels and narrow-toed shoes, though attractive, are not terribly healthy.
- As is generally the case, your family history can be indicative of your potential to develop bunions. If you have relatives who suffer from bunions, take particular care of your own feet.
Breathing is a great way to make yourself relax. You might have experienced this if you’ve ever had a treatment at our Mercer Island foot massage clinic; when you tense up during a massage, you may have been instructed to take a deep breath and let out out slowly. This is because breathing deeply is one of the best ways to slow your heart and calm your muscles.
At home, you can engage in deep-breathing exercises to foster relaxation and help avoid excess tension in your back. Here is a simple exercise you can try:
- Get comfortable in a chair or on your bed, sitting or lying down, with one hand on your belly and the other on your chest.
- Inhale deeply and slowly, and feel your belly push your hand up. You should not feel your chest rise. You want to inhale through your nose, as this serves to filter the air.
- Let your breath out slowly through your mouth, pursing your lips so you can hear the air rushing out. Breathing audibly helps you focus on your breathing. Feel as your belly goes in, and use your hand to push the rest of the air out.
- Repeat these steps three to ten times.
Do you find yourself getting frequent headaches that you cannot account for, even after a massage or two at our Mercer Island foot massage clinic? It’s possible that the culprit is right in the back of your mind. Indeed, even something as simple as your ponytail may be triggering your chronic headaches.
When you pull your hair back in a tight tail or braid, it can put strain on your scalp’s connective tissue. This can lead to a headache. Even if you don’t pull your hair back, you might be getting a similar effect from a tight-fitting hat or headband. The next time you experience a headache, try letting your hair down or removing your headwear; you might be surprised at how quickly your pain goes away. If it turns out that your accessories are not the cause of your pain, though, you can always find relief with a good massage at Lux Foot Spa!
When you look at the inside of the average foot, you should see a curve along the middle. This is called the arch. It is held up by a series of muscles and tendons which, unfortunately, are not invulnerable. Too much strain on this arch can cause it to collapse, resulting in a condition we call fallen arches. Our Mercer Island foot massage clinic can help you to avoid fallen arches, starting with the following tips:
First of all, you want to be aware of your risk factor for fallen arches. Though anyone can experience fallen arches, they are more common among obese individuals, people suffering from diabetes, pregnant women, and the elderly. You are also at risk if your feet undergo a lot of strain, so you should take care if you experience a lot of pain in your feet after your daily activities.
If you think you may be at risk of fallen arches, or if you think you might already have fallen arches, there are many options for treatment. In moderate cases, you may only need to rest your feet, ice the area, practice some simple stretching exercises, and maybe change your footwear. Should you have a severe case, your doctor may recommend a surgical solution. Consult a medical professional for more information.
People come to our Mercer Island foot massage clinic because they have stiff muscles, back pain, and emotional stress. A good massage can help to alleviate these problems, but, if you continue to suffer, you may want to look at your lifestyle to help get to the core of the issue. In the modern world, the culprit for many people is the long hours they spend in front of the computer.
First of all, it’s well known that constant computer use encourages bad posture. Hunching over your keyboard, craning your neck back to look at your screen, sitting for hours at a time, all of these can take their toll on your muscles and cause lasting pain. Your body wants to get up and move about, keeping your muscles strong and supple.
Secondly, spending a lot of time on the internet has been shown to increase your stress and depression. Though many look to the online world for leisure and socializing, it’s a poor substitute for actual human contact. Get out of the house more often and interact with friends face to face, and you can do wonders to improve your mood.